Monday 15 November 2010

A tale of two puddings

One of the joys of being a new grandparent is that there are more opportunities for getting the whole family together for Sunday lunch. Taylor's aunt and uncles are all keen to see him at every opportunity and quite happy for me to cook for them! Taylor's dad is working in Texas for a couple of weeks so my daughter was at a bit of a loose end. Thus it was that we gathered at the family home for roast pork with all the trimmings. (My eldest son takes after his father in his belief that lunch on Sunday has to be a roast, it's the law)!

Some friends were performing a samba routine in the Lord Mayor's Show on Saturday and whilst settling down to watch it on TV I inadvertently caught the last 10 minutes of one of Rachel Allen's baking programmes. She is so smug that I usually want to hurl something at her but I was completely won over by the trainees who were making her sticky toffee pudding and her toffee sauce. In fact I was so won over that as soon as I had spotted Tammy and co doing their routine I was off to buy all the ingredients in Tesco. (Fortunately chopped dates were on a 3 for 2 offer). The cake was really tasty, dead easy to make and the sauce was sensational (and apparently it keeps for ages in a screw top jar). My family absolutely loved the pudding and it will be made again and again.


I had been wanting to make Nigella's tiramisu ever since I bought Kitchen. Tracking down Fra Angelico was a bit of a chore until I spotted a bottle in the largest of our local Waitrose stores. Well all I can say is that it wasn't really worth the effort. It tasted like Tiramisu always does. The family thought it too boozy and so I am still chomping my way through it on my own.

I had forgotten that we have a really fine cut glass bowl for trifley things. I don't think my lasagne dish quite does it justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment